By the end of Year 1, if your child is meeting the national standard, they are expected to achieve the following objectives within a range of applications and contexts.
Number Place Value
- I can count up and down from 0 to 100 and more.
- I can count, read and write numbers up to 100.
- I can count in 2 or 5 or 10.
- When you show me a number, I can tell you what is one more and one less.
- I can find numbers on a number line when I am solving problems with questions using equal to, more than, less than, most and least.
- I read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numbers and words.
- I know and can use the maths symbols + - and = in a number sentence.
- I know my number bond facts to 20 - such as 1+5 = 6 and 5 = 6 - 1.
- I add and subtract numbers up to 20 - such as 5+5 or 12-8.
- I can solve some number problems such as 7 = ? - 9.
- I answer maths multiplication or division problems with help from an adult and using objects to see what the problem means.
- I know that a half is one of two equal parts, and I find half of a shape or a set of objects by sharing the shape or set into two equal parts.
- I find a quarter of a shape or a set of objects by sharing the shape or set into four equal parts.
- I use words such as long or short, longer or shorter, tall or short, double or half to describe my maths work when I am measuring.
- When weighing, I use the words heavy or light, heavier than, lighter than to explain my work.
- When working with capacity, I use the words full or empty, more than, less than, half, half full and quarter to explain my work.
- I can answer questions about time, such as Who is quicker? or What is earlier?
- I can measure the length or height of something and write down what measure.
- I can measure how heavy an object is and write down what I find.
- I can measure the capacity of jugs of water and write down what I measure.
- I can measure how long something takes to happen - such as how long it takes me to run around the playground.
- I know that coins have different values - such as 2p, 5p, 10p and 50p.
- I use special time words such as before and after, next, first, today, yesterday, tomorrow, morning, afternoon and evening.
- I can tell you the days of the week and months of the year and I can talk about weeks and months and years and what they mean.
- I can tell the time and draw hands on a clock for to the hour and half past the hour times.
- I can name common 2-D shapes such as rectangles, squares, circles and triangles.
- I can name some 3-D shapes such as cuboids and cubes, pyramids and spheres.
- I can describe my position, direction and movement, including whole turns, half turns, quarter turns and three-quarter turns.